My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Journey

About two years ago, Emily's ballet school's director and founder wrote an original story ballet.  The ballet classes performed The Journey as the recital that year...each class playing a part in the story.  It was wonderful and a great change from the typical ballet recital.  The story is the journey that her great grandmother took as an immigrant from Sweden...but she added in a villain, a fairy, and some other make believe characters to make it very interesting!  Mrs. S has recently become involved in mission work in a local abuse shelter for women and children by taking dance and movement into the shelter as a type of therapy.  She had the idea to use another production of The Journey for a fundraiser so that she can create a foundation to grow this ministry and reach more people.  I just LOVE her vision and I love that the dance at Wildwood Ballet Studio has a purpose and that she involves our girls.  So this time around the girls had to audition for the parts.  She changed it up some, made a few tweaks, and they practiced for months...on Saturdays in addition to their regular classes during the week.  At times I wondered why on earth I agreed to more driving, more practices, more costumes, more more more....BUT after watching my beautiful girl dance...well I'd do it again!  She was in about 4 dances and several other scenes.  She played a fairy angel, a ship angel, a fashion thief, and had another couple parts...all of her sweet friends danced as well.  The really neat thing is that the older girls are such great roll models.  They are Christians and seem to really want to take these younger tween girls under their wings and share their love of Christ as well as dance with them.  Emily told me time and time again of the sweet things that the older girls would share with them.  It was a great bonding experience for Emily and a high for her as she worked together with a group for a common cause.  I don't have many pictures but here's a few...I believe they raised about $3000 for the foundation as well as paid for the all the costs of the performance!


The Fashion Thief dance....Emily's inner bad girl came out in this dance.  She got lots of comments about how well she danced/acted this scene...it made us chuckle...I could hardly tell it was her!






Caroline wore her tutu in honor of Emily's ballet:)



 Emily is one of the angels here...she's in the front to the left of the middle.  I love this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment