My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

With Great Joy!....

I've been overjoyed since Sunday after worshiping with my kids...I've told all my friends and now wanted to write it down.  On Sundays our children do not go to Children's Church...not because I dislike the leaders or dislike what they teach...but because I WANT to worship with my kids.  I want them to know that I want them with me, learning with me, praying with me, and worshiping with me.  I sometimes use the time in the pew to hold Emily's hand.  Emily's love language is physical touch (it is NOT mine) and it is one of the few times I have her near me, uninterrupted, and I'm peaceful....I hold her hand or touch her arm.  It is a good time.  John also really likes the kids to participate in the offering with us.  They usually have their own money to give.  I think the kids get it.  When they have asked in the past, I just say, Mommy and Daddy want you with us.  We enjoy having you in church with us. They don't ask anymore.  I read a book a few years back called Parenting in the Pew and ever since, I just couldn't send them away.  It didn't feel right...I like teaching them about praising our Father, taking communion, confessing our sin, and listening to what the pastor says.  It's a good experience for us as a family.  I feel strongly that God wants John and I to teach our children and I strive to do it the best way I know how...always learning and growing. 

We have not had a pastor now for 5 months.  Our Associate Pastors have done a great job at filling in but I'm sure need a little break...I have really enjoyed hearing their hearts as they have led our congregation into this transition time.  We have an interim pastor now.  He is a retired pastor that now just uses his time to fill in during transition times at churches.  He is a BIG name....I had never heard of him but he apparently is well known.  Our friend that is a pastor in town actually had him in a Seminary Class in Memphis years ago...he loved him.  I was a little afraid to be perfectly honest that he would be a little "too big" and not "down to earth" but I was wrong....he seems very "down to earth" and a very humble man.....that has studied the bible for so long....he has much to offer you can tell. 

Sunday was his first Sunday preaching....he preached in Joshua (yay! I was excited, we have read that as a family)...his message was titled, what you can expect in times of uncertainty...Sounds very fitting for our church right now!  He didn't use notes at all.  He spoke of three things we can all count on in times of uncertainty.  #1  Joshua 1 --the Word of God.  He did an entire history lesson on the Word...why it is true, absolute, and perfect...he talked about the Dead Sea Scrolls and spoke of history that I have not yet had the chance to study..it was fascinating.  He said to keep reading the Word of God...just as God commanded Joshua.  #2  Joshua 3--God is powerful.  This is when I really got excited...our entire VBS curriculum just one week ago was about the Power of God.  Day 1 of VBS was the story from Joshua 3 about God's power in stopping the waters so that Joshua, the tribes and the Ark of the Covenant could cross on dry ground.  Just as God parted the waters for Moses, he did so for Joshua....they stood on dry ground...God is powerful!  #3 Joshua 7--Jesus always shows up!...this is where Joshua is standing outside of Jericho wondering how he is going to take the city and it says, "The Captain of the Lord's Army shows up"...I about jumped out of my seat...I was noticeably excited...Pastor Henry went on to say this is Jesus, preincarnate....he explained that this is a theophany and that this happens several times in the Old Testament when Jesus shows up...the kids and John and I had studied this last year...discussed and researched it and how it is Jesus...sometimes I believe it says The Angel of the Lord...We didn't know it was called a theophany but remembered talking about this around our table when we read Joshua together.  But we have been studying greek words and the kids and I knew that theo in greek is God.  I was so excited to experience this with my kids...to see their eyes light up as he talked about the waters parting for Joshua and to hear him speak about theophany and things we have discussed at home...it felt right and good.  Afterwards, we all were so excited, we wanted to go talk to Pastor Henry but he had a long line of people to talk to and we needed to get Molly.  Later though, I wish I had waited, I bet he would have liked hearing from my children. 

I don't know everything...I don't even know 1/4 of the stuff there is to know....but I'm learning more everyday...God's word truly felt like a sweet treat that day...something I wanted more of.  I was giddy with excitement and my kids could tell.  I like learning new things, I like teaching them and figuring things out together.  It doesn't bother me that I don't know it all, what is exciting is that I want more of it....and so that's what we did....thirsty on Monday for more, we all dove right in God's word for more treats.  First, we went back over the sermon and marked the three things in Joshua, discussed it and talked more about it.  John Daniel likes to act it out sometimes....Joshua falling down on his face in front of the Captain of the Lord's Army.  Next, that led us (not sure why except that in my SS class we had talked about the Day of Pentacost and the Holy Spirit) so we went over to Acts and read about the day of Pentacost.  Emily said, "Mommy, at Hobby Lobby there is a picture in the art section where the disciples are all sitting around  and their are tongues of fire over their heads."  Wow, well that's what we are reading about....I can't wait to go back to Hobby Lobby!  We discussed martyrs and what the disciples did after recieving the Holy Spirit...the kids were amazed.  The Elliots came up (because we have read about them in our Hero book) and we talked about how Mr. Jim Elliot went to witness to the Auca Indians and that he was killed...but then how Mrs. Elliot ended up going back and witnessing to them...many of them are now believers.  We finally went to proverbs...one of John Daniel's favorites..he likes to write in his Bible which is fine with me.  We like to draw pictures or discuss visual pictures for the Proverbs.  Then we prayed. 

For two days now, we have spent over 45 minutes at our table studying the Bible.  I know it won't be like that everyday...but I'm overjoyed and deeply thankful for this opportunity.....I've wanted to write Mr. Henry an email to tell him how I appreciated his sermon or at least tell our associate pastors but I may be a little over zealous...I just feel very blessed and so thankful for the freedoms we have in America and the blessings that I'm seeing in my children.  Very humbled I am.....

No comments:

Post a Comment