My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Decisions

Don't you just love it when you are going along minding your own business and then a really big decision is put in your path and you really have no idea what to do. This happen to us this week. As in a earlier post last month, John was interviewing for a promotion....he did not get it at the time which was o.k. with us. He received great comments after his interview and was told that it was a very hard decision. So this week, he found out that the person that was offered the promotion declined it and now they were offering John the position. This took us way by surprise and at first we were both really excited. To make a long story short, John would be a captain, go to night shift, and be on salary now instead of being paid by the hour. This all sounds pretty good except for the night shift part but then we found out that he would be taking a pay cut for a little while due to not being able to make overtime as usual. Salary position jobs cannot make overtime and really I did not realize that his overtime made us that much money but it does! This promotion though is a HUGE leap in his career and has great potential for pay raises and benefits etc.

At first my initial reaction was to freak and go on and on about why he should say no and why it is so unfair...but something or someone I should say told me to stop and take it easy and keep my mouth shut. I have been really praying and trying over the course of several years now to be more of the kind of wife that I know God wants me to be...supportive, obedient, quiet in spirit, and more of a listener. This is very hard for me. I decided to pray for John and I prayed that God would give him guidance and a peace about whatever decision he made. I also prayed for our finances. I realized that fear and doubt are huge barriers in my faith and that everything I almost freaked out about had to do with fear and doubt. So it was such a relief when I handed all this over to God and I have to say in the three days it took John to think about it, pray about it, seek guidance from two friends about it, and talk to the EMS administration about it....I really was not concerned. I had this peace that if John and I were both seeking to do the right thing and making our decision based on biblical principles..then God was going to bless it. After mulling it over for three days, John made the decision to take the position and now is Captain John Gay. He will no longer be on the regular ambulances. He will be on the Supervisor's Truck overseeing the crew for his shift. There are only six Captains in the whole service and this is a very big opportunity for him to advance his career. It means a lot to him that his superiors would have this confidence in him and I am very proud!

John said to me that it meant a lot to him that I didn't freak and starting squawking about my thoughts and worries. I think it helped him make the right decision for me to be quiet and just pray for him....as well as bless our marriage. Thank goodness for the times when I am actually still enough to hear God's Holy Spirit talking to me...wish I listened more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment