My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Big Apple Adventure

John and I truly truly truly LOVE VBS week.  For the past 4 years, John has taken the entire week off if he didn't already have it off...one of the things that drew us to BFBC was the joy, cooperation, excitement, creativeness, eagerness that the church body, pastors, and leaders put into the kids this week...and all year long.. 

I will NEVER forget the first contact I had with our Pastor..it was VBS 2006 and Emily was 4.  We were visiting this church and decided to try VBS.  It was POURING down rain at pickup and when I drove up, I saw Pastor Mark, soaking wet, in the driveway putting kids in their cars...I seriously was so impressed that he cared enough to be out there number 1 and that he was being such a servant...that attitude and connectivenss continues to this day.  Servanthood is his heart..he is very compassionate and cares about all the tiny details like remembering people's names, making sure he gets to meet each child during the week, having fun, and showing support.  The staff at BFBC is never allowed to take vacation during VBS week...they ALL from the top down are running around decorating, doing drop off, pick up, scooping ice cream, picking up trash, etc.  Today I saw Pastor Mark going down the hallway taking decor down from the teacher's classes and putting trash in trash bags as he went so the teachers didn't have to do it all alone...this church truly chips in and blesses over 300 kids with an awesome week in learning about God's love and the free gift of salvation.  I think this year was one of the best years yet...the entire VBS volunteer staff seemed to be so excited to help and work together...all the teachers were happy and enjoyed the kids..the crafts were awesome and Ms. Karen that led recreation was the first to volunteer for VBS...who wants to do rec anyways?!?!?!  It seemed like the church really just came together with such enthusiasm...which is a good feeling when we've had so many problems over the past couple of years...we still have problems (no church is perfect) but I know for a fact that everyone at BFBC has heart and a love for the body and spreading God's love!  I have tons of pictures and some video and I'm posting it mostly so that I can remember.  It won't mean much to those that don't know these people but it meant a lot to me!  The pastors once again couldn't help but make a fool of themselves...they LOVE acting goofy for the kids and boy did they put on a show this year!  I absolutely love the fact that Pastor Eddie can put on gold pants and sing MC Hammer's "Pray" one day and then turn around and wear a suit to direct the choir the next day...The boys and girls at VBS brought in $1,250.00 for missions during the week and filled 3 shopping carts full of groceries for the food pantry...they learned that they can have Faith in Jesus, love others, Admit, Believe, and Confess in Jesus Christ, and then go and make disciples by sharing God's love with others.  We had some great Bible Study in our 3rd grade class.  It is the oldest grade John and I  have ever taught and it was neat to see that it clicked with them, they could read and study Bible verses that we gave them, and really understand the mission...Cool enough, this year was the largest amount of visitors we have had at VBS.  Apparently the majority of the 300 students that attended were NOT members of our church.  I had a child in my class that had never ever been to a church function or service...it was truly his first experience with the church and Christians!  So now for the onslaught on pictures...forgive me, I had a great time!

























No comments:

Post a Comment