My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The idiot box is back

The TV is back in our home...not only a TV but a big, nice, up to date, fancy, flat screen one...and I have very mixed emotions!  I feel we sold out but I'm not really sure what to..The Devil maybe...not really..just kidding but it is a strange feeling! 

We got rid of it for two reasons that I can remember last year, we were trying to save money on cable, didn't want it to be the center of attention, trying to break a habit, were tired of being the entertainment soaked people that we were (not that it was super bad), and trying to make more space in the living room.  We kept the old TV in the bedroom and when the kids were allowed to watch movies, they were in there...and when John wanted to watch a little antenna TV, the kids somehow followed him and we always found ourselves corralling in our bedroom which drives ME BANANAS!  I said two things to John about it...I said what if we got a small flat screen to go on the wall above the piano so that the living room can be a place to watch movies...honestly I don't have a problem with my kids watching movies that we pick for them during a time we choose for them.  Well, I went out of town and came back to a boys dream TV!  It has all the bells and whistles with Pandora, Netflix wirelessly connected, a sound system, etc.  I don't even understand the whole operation!  But I will give him this....HHGregg was having a huge Memorial Day sale, he bought open box items, got Dish for free with a rebate, and talk the gal down some because our three kids were so good even after being in the store for almost 2 hours (which she was really impressed with)!  So he got a REALLY good price....The Blue Ray disc/speaker system flickered when he brought it home so he called her and went back to the store...they ended up taking the open box item back and giving him the upgrade...NEW....for NO extra cost!  So all in all it was a good deal! 

It is all about what you are passionate about at the time I guess....and this has become by new MANTRA!  I would have told you 6 months ago that we would never go back to having a TV in the living room, etc. and at this point I can't even really give you a good answer....I know we never wanted to spend the money upgrading...and if I read the books like RADICAL again and the one I'm reading now about keeping my children's heart then I could probably give you a reason....But again, I was super passionate about that 1 year ago...and I guess semi passionate about it now!  :)  I say this with a smile because some days I have NO clue if I'm doing anything right or making any of the right decisions!  I dare tell people anymore about what we are tackling as a family...I do know this:

We have broken the habit of TV watching....

We have formed the habit of regular family Bible time....

The kids know that the TV is a bonus...not a regular thing....

I know I have the ability to control the TV and not let it control us.....

Even though the TV is there, it doesn't have to be turned on.....
(thanks A for these words of wisdom)

And it was really cool tonight to pick a movie on Netflix, it come directly to the TV and in minutes we all gathered around to watch Fly Away Home...which ended with us all crying...yes I said ALL of us...crying!  Sweet movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment