My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Great Grandparents

I've decided today to write about a big blessing that my kids get to have....Great Grandparents. Not only do my children have all of their Grandparents here in Tallahassee but they have 6 great grandparents no further than Thomasville, GA. This is a blessing that John and I take for granted sometimes. Emma Lou and J.D. have very active grandparents that all still work full-time jobs and are YOUNGER than most of their friends' grandparents. As I said, their Great Grandparents are also mostly here or in Thomasville and get to spend a good amount of time with them. I grew up with my grandparents very close by (even one set across the street) and it was a blessing. John was also very close to his grandparents and spent a lot of time with them growing up. I really realize how special it is to have such GRAND people surrounding us. We do not get to see everyone as often as I wish (it really is quite hard to get by to see everyone when you have grandparents and great grans to see). I thought I might write about some special things that my kids do or remember about their Great Grandparents.

Granny and Granddad Thornton......are very active GRAND people! They are in their mid -80's, my grandfather is actually going on 87! He just retired several years ago. My grandmother is amazing. She looks to be about mid 60's in my opinion. She has fiesty italian blood in her! They have 7 grandchildren and 5 going on 6 great grandchildren. They keep up with everyone very well even the little kids. They seem to know what everyone is doing and going through. They know Emily is girly and loves dolls and ballet. My grandmother does special things like bring her a handmade bouquet to her ballet recitals and she fixes any boo boos that Emily's dolls or stuffed animals have. Emily knows she can sew wonderfully and will bring me things for "Granny to fix". They know J.D. loves trains and trucks and most of all cookies. They have a special kind of cookies that they share at their house with the kids and J.D. always gets his own pack for Birthdays etc. My Grandfather likes to show the kids that he can remove his teeth, yes his teeth I said....he has a denture plate that all the kids think is so funny!!! or maybe just weird. One of the things I remember is camping with them all my life...they have also been camping with my kids which is cool. They love to be outdoors and their yard is beautiful...my Grandmother has a special touch! Emily and J.D. know they like Tallahassee Nurseries. One of the our favorite traditions is picking out a Christmas Tree with them...after John and I got married they decided to buy all the grandchildren that had gotten married or moved out of their parents home their Christmas tree! What an amazing Christmas present especially when those things go for $60 sometimes. This is our family's present from them! When my kids came along the tradition continued and now every year a few days after Thanksgiving they call to set up a day to go Christmas Tree shopping. We all meet at Tallahassee Nurseries and we find the perfect tree. My kids love it and love running all around all the good smelling trees pointing out ones they like to Granny. Granny and Granddad always take us in the greenhouse to look at the big fish in the pond and then Granddad tries to buy us more flowers, poinsettias, or little garden animals....I have to stop him from buying out the place! I know my kids will remember this for forever and it is always such a wonderful present! We get to look at it for 4 weeks and think of them! Always a very special time.....


More stories of Great Grandparents to come...I only have a little time to write each time I sit down so I will have to break it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment