My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Books!

My bookshelves are expanding with lots of great books.  I'm starting to get the hang of this researching great books thing and something dawned on me....if I had not started homeschooling...if I had not committed myself to having to research and find the material that I want my kids to learn and read...the books we are reading now, would have never crossed our path...we would have been reading Cam Jansen, Fairy Books, etc forever. Sure I knew there were classics and better books but I guess I didn't know how to find them or didn't have the time to learn why I wanted to find them....Thanks to some great resources, friends, my mom, and the library...I feel like the stuff that I am putting into my kids head is worthy and enriching...we have a stack on the back of the piano of books that we read each night...or each morning..I wouldn't consider them school books but "free reading" or "fun reading."  Right now the stack consists of the Bible, the Operation World prayer guide, Peacemakers Study, Understood Betsy, Charlotte's Web, John Daniel's Quiet Time book, and Parables from Nature.  It makes me feel so good when I look at that little stack! 

I've said before that we are studying American History very loosely this year, I have a president book that has a page on each president, we read it everyday....When we come to a more notable President or one that she is really interested in, we stop and do a little more research, write a report, and do a lap book.  We are at FDR right now.  Emily is super interested in him, WWII, and the Great Depression.  So I went to a great website (Simply Charlotte Mason) that recommends curriculum for good books, living books, classical stuff and searched The Great Depression.  It recommended I get a book called "Children of the Great Depression" and our Library right up the street happen to have it.  It did not disappoint!  It has real pictures of children and families during the Great Depression, stories of families,etc.  It is wonderful!  I've realized over the past two weeks that history, science, literature, even some geography isn't something that Emily has to master right now...I need to expose her to lots of stories, living books, pictures, ideas, life, etc and create a love of learning.  We have to master math, phonics, grammar, and reading but the other stuff is there to enjoy....there to explore.  I have breathed a sigh of relief because it seemed like so much to do and I found myself very overwhelmed.  I've realized though that when we enjoy it together and read about subjects she is interested in, she does retain it.  I've been AMAZED at how much she remembers about the presidents and the parts of history they are part of.  I love it and I'm trying to relax and get into a groove...it helps so much to talk it through with people, other moms, teachers, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment