My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Guy Time

Today and tomorrow, John is at Cherry Lake camping out with three of his best friends. He has known these guys since he was 16 years old. They all went to the same church, were in the youth group together, were in each other's weddings and have remained great friends. John and one other live in Tallahassee and the other two live out of town. No one goes to the same church anymore. But these guys have made it a tradition to get together (no girls allowed) at least once a year sometimes twice and go away (usually camping) together. I have to say that there is a small part of me that is a little sad when he goes and I get my feelings hurt just a little that he wants to go. I guess that is a girl's personality (or maybe just mine) that wants him to want to be with me ALL the time but the larger part of me is SO glad he has friends like this. I don't ever question whether they are a "good" influence or what "trouble" he would get in to. These are guys that have been here for our family no matter what. John and these guys sharpen each others iron, support one another, question each other, share struggles, share triumphs, and encourage each other to be better men, husbands, leaders, fathers, and friends. They have really been there for one another through a lot! These guys are John's second in line to ask for opinions (next to me or maybe before me sometimes) and they are the first to ask him how his marriage is or how his spiritual walk is. John almost always comes back wanting to put into practice what they have talked about! I think this is sooo important for men. They need that play time and bonding with fellow men who enjoy the same things. John's friends love camping, hiking, fishing, etc. And it isn't all serious. They kick back have a couple of beers, enjoy burning lots of firewood and do a lot of joking around. Dan got bit by a snake last camp out! Boys will be boys. I really try to encourage these trips in that it gives John a chance to take a breather and regroup. I have often thought about writing a thank you note to them or maybe a thank you email but that would be so not cool and way too girlie! But I do appreciate their friendship with John and our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment