My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, April 13, 2009

In Loving memory of Granddaddy Gay









I've been wanting to do this post for over a week now but I had to wait until John could help me scan these pictures. John's grandfather, his dad's dad, passed away on March 23rd. This was the same day we brought little Molly home from the hospital. New life begins and a grand life ends.....Granddaddy Gay was a fine man with a long life and many stories to tell. I only came into the picture 15 years ago but I know I have great memories of him as well. My first thoughts would be that he loved to tell stories, take pictures, show his pictures off, and he loved to tell you how much he loved you and how pretty you were! John has loving memories of him. He spent lots of time over the summers with his grandparents. One of their trips is shown in the pictures above. His grandparents took him to North Carolina and they spent time with his grandmother's brothers. This was the first time John had shot a shotgun. He had a blast. John's grandfather loved to tell stories and was a WWII veteran. His battles included battles in France and Rineland in Germany and the invasion of Normandy. He was wounded in action on Nov 26th 1944. He received many medals including the Purple Heart. John loves all this particularly because he loves anything about history and war. He found all of his grandfather's stories fascinating. The other picture is one of four generations that I am so glad that I took on John Daniel's first Easter. Granddaddy used to say, "John, you are my favorite grandson." This was funny to him because John was his ONLY grandson out of 7 grandchildren. Granddaddy Gay fought a long battle of chronic illness before his death but is remembered by many. His funeral was very special in that he had a full military funeral with all the honors. We love you granddaddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment