My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, July 9, 2009

FSU Football and the Tour De France

I really try to like sports because John does. It is something that I can talk to him about. I watch FSU football and enjoy it. I like the football atmosphere and we try to go to at least one gave every season.

The other sport that I love is cycling, especially watching the Tour De France. I actually like it better than FSU football! Approx 6 years ago John got into cycling. My dad is into it as well. I really didn't know the difference at that point between riding a bike and cycling. There is a big difference though. Now for John and my dad that read this blog...I know I may not explain this all in perfect cycling terms or even make sense but I am going to try to write about why I like the Tour De France. The Tour is like the super bowl of football. It only happens once a year and lasts about two weeks. Most everyone knows the name Lance Armstrong at this point. John has read his books and we have followed him for most of his Tour wins. He has won 7 tours and he is an amazing athlete!! For someone to be so precise and strong is quite incredible. He is fun to watch even if he has the biggest ego around. I think all cyclists have egos though!! Anyways, we have been watching the tour again this year and it is pretty exciting because after taking several years off, Lance Armstrong is riding again. I love the voices of the commentators, especially Phil Leggett. I have learned what the peloton is, what the green, yellow, polka dot jerseys mean, I know what the Team Time Trial is and that five members have to cross the line together, I know that they train for years, practice for months, measure aerodynamics, cross winds etc. I think that the cycling etiquette is very cool. Years ago when Lance and his arch enemy Ulrich were pounding up the mountain together, Ulrich had a mishap on his bike..well instead of Lance taking advantage of it and leaving him..he waited on his arch enemy to catch up just so they could fight it out to the bitter end together. I love watching the sprinters waiting until the perfect time to sprint to the end and you always feel so sorry for the one in the break away that worked so hard to get ahead of the peloton only to be gobbled up by the peloton in the end right before the finish line. I think the crowd is amazing and crazy. Years ago we watched lance climb those huge mountains with literally no room on either side of his bike because of the crazy fans. I love that the sport has members from all different countries. I think it is cool how it is so much of a team sport. Each team has usually one member of the team that is the leader. The team works hard to protect that member and will even ride on all sides of him just so if a wreck is to happen he hopefully would be protected. They ride in front of the leader taking on the wind and work of climbing so that he can save his legs until the finish and they drop off and let him climb his way to the finish line hopefully winning the stage. There is a definite strategy that goes along with the sport. It has been so much fun watching it with John. I remember last year going to a salon to get my nails done. They had these little TVs to watch as your nails were drying. It was during the Tour De France time and I turned mine to the tour...the lady thought it was really weird that I picked cycling to watch as I was getting my nails done. I think it shows that a woman really likes a sport when she will watch it even when her husband is not around.

No comments:

Post a Comment