My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, November 2, 2009

The perfect church

I really don't think there is one....John and I said yesterday that we were going to start our own little research project....looking at what God says in the Bible specifically about what the church should be. I love our church and I love the people there...I think I have said that before but it seems that no matter where you go, there is something that is less than attractive about a church. From people complaining, from the way they do the service, to the music, to the way the pastor preaches, to the type of dress, to the financial situation, to the small groups, to the Sunday school, to the children's ministry....I really don't think any church gets it just right, it is no wonder why so many are over organized religion. I don't think it is a pastor's fault either....how can you possibly please everyone. A couple of things that I have learned or strive for....(this post could be a very detailed and lengthy one but these are just some very surface thoughts I have had)....I have learned that people who complain are in my opinion thinking about themselves.....I believe it is up to ME and JOHN to decide what our children partake in and what we teach them and how they learn......The worship experience should be about God and not ourselves.....The Bible is our source for all direction.....and sitting and soaking it all up and not using what you know is no good. Now speaking about the church in general and not just the one we attend.....I could care less if there is a children's church or not....ultimately it is my job to raise my kids. I could care less if the pastor wears a suit or jeans. My preference is contemporary type of service but I have found that if I put my needs and wants aside...I can worship God in any setting. And I will be honest..I struggle with how to reach the world....I know that it is not ME that saves people. I also know that Jesus wants us to be salt and light and Jesus hung with sinners and I know there is a responsibility in there for me....now whether you change your service/church/worship experience to be more inviting for those sinners to walk through the door...I do not know. Do you thump the Bible the old fashioned way and believe that it is the truth so no matter what sinners will be saved...I don't know. The world has changed. People have changed. People have so many more distractions. Do we have to make Christianity more attractive to these very distracted people. Or do we just trust that they will walk in the door b/c we are teaching the Word of God and it is powerful. I do not know! I do believe in the Great Commission and He has commanded us to go out into the world....I just don't know the perfect way....but my heart is wanting to know His will and I pray for our church and our leaders as they make decisions. God knows that there is no perfect church....perfect people....or perfect solution even....But He is perfect and I am excited to see His way revealed!!! I pray that I can be a part of a great story!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Aaahh the perfect church. If you find it let me know. Of course, still being at Northwood's it has given me cause to really wonder what a perfect church is. Or one that is acceptable to belong to! (And we have had sermons on it quite a bit lately.) My Two Cents: Perfect church is one that is not afraid to preach from the Bible about every thing. One that advocates families learning and loving God together. A church so filled with the Holy Spirit, the love of Christ and obedience to God's word that everyone wants to know what is going on inside those four walls. A church where obedience to the Bible is a factor. That it is taken seriously that parents are responsible for the spiritual upbringing of their children. That the older women are willing to mentor younger women. That widows and orphans are taken care of. Not because of some fancy program but because that is what the Bible teaches and we ought to do it for the love of Christ.
    I have noticed that those who complain are consumer Christians. Not necessarily looking what they can be doing for the church but what the church can be doing for them.
    As you know, I don't necessarily believe that the church with all the programs is it. I think the programs can be a distraction from the keeping the main thing the main thing.
    If you and John discover anything you feel you would like to share with me, please do! We struggle every week about what to do :)

    ReplyDelete