My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The coolest African American I know

....I know, its a strange title and I hope I didn't offend but my friend Kisha IS the coolest African American I know! 

I met Kisha in high school.  She joined the band and played the french horn like me.  We became instant friends.  We looked weird no doubt...me with my red hair, long legs, and white skin...and Kisha with her dark black skin, big white smile and short stature...but she really was my best friend all through high school.  We took the same classes, went to lunch together, and hung out.  One of the coaches use to call to us when he saw us, "Hey Red and your Running Girl".."what you all up to today?"  I had gone to private school up until 6th grade...an ALL WHITE private school for the most part and then..I started a mostly "black" middle school where a smart, shy, white girl was definitely the minority.  I held my own and got involved in band and that is what got me through it...High School was great!  The band was great! I made great friends and met my husband there!  Kisha is different.  I don't know how to say this politically correct so it might come out weird but she was not like most other African Americans.  She could hang with anyone.  She didn't care if you were white, red, black, or yellow.  She was proud of the friends she had.  She was friends with people who had integrity.  She stood up for me and "protected" me...I was painfully shy at times.  She laughed at me and supported me.  She had street smarts and I had book smarts.  I helped her study chemistry and she stood up for me when the math bully was being rude to me.  I loved her because she could make me laugh and we joked all the time about racial issues and she never got offended.  She would make fun of my "white" talk and prissiness and I would make fun of the "hood" where she lived....She stayed far from trouble.  And even kept me out of trouble at times. 

I really respect her because she really didn't have a foundation laid for her where it came easy.  She lived with her grandma...Flossie Mae.  She had two siblings that were in and out of trouble all the time...they dropped out of school, got pregnant, run ins with the law, etc.  Her dad was come and go and I think her Mom was on drugs.  She always had a job, made good grades, and loved her Grandma.  I wonder what Flossie Mae thought of me?  When we all got to our Senior Year...Kisha decided to join the Marines.  She was always fairly athletic and strong.  It was the best decision she ever made.  It is 15 years later and we have kept in touch ever since and she is still the coolest African American Lady I have ever known. 

This is what Kisha has done with her life...

She is a 2nd lieutenant with the U.S. Marines..will be a Captain in a few months.  Has served in Iraq 2 times and just returned from an 18 month stint.  In the meantime got her degree and works as a deputy for Leon County Sheriff's Office in the Crime Scene Division.  She will most likely be able to retire from the military before the age of 40.  She owns two houses (one in which she rents out).  She just bought a house in Killearn Estates with a pool!  She loves cars and motorcycles and has a few of each.  She married but has never had children (her own decision).  She buried Flossie Mae a few years ago and was left to be the only decent, sane one in her family to deal with her grandmother's arrangements and belongings.  She is funny.  She is always happy.  She is respected.  She is a lot of fun to be around.  I had the pleasure of seeing her yesterday for the first time in 18 or so months since being in Iraq....she is as happy as ever..loving life and doing the best she can!  It has been a joy to know her!

No comments:

Post a Comment