My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, August 23, 2010

Home Economics

At least that is what I'm calling our sewing class...

I bought a sewing machine back in the Spring on sale and have wanted to learn to sew for quite some time.  I think the kicker was the church's poodle skirt Father/Daughter dance...a lot of my very talented friends had made their daughter's poodle skirt..and said it was easy.  So that made me want to sew...

I had called around to different sewing stores and they didn't have what I was looking for.  I had almost signed Emily up for a week sewing camp that was $100 but they cancelled it last minute...no one had exactly what I was looking for.  I wanted to learn with Emily...do a project together so it could be something we learned side by side.  The fabric stores said she was too young, not big enough, etc.  We have many women around us that know how to sew including my grandmother and aunt but I felt like we needed a formal "class" where someone was dedicated to our time to teach us at a specific time every week. And I knew that I needed that consistency as well or we'd never get anything accomplished...

So I put out an inquiry on the ever so helpful "HOME SCHOOL LOOP"...the Tallahassee Christian Home school Forum and asked for advice, help, suggestions...and my need was answered.  First, one mom and her 18 year old daughter offered to show Emily and I the basics...how to turn on the machine, thread the needle, how to get started, etc.  She said that I could pay her what I felt led and come to her house for a couple of quick basic lessons.  We went and she was great.  In about 2 hours time, she had us sewing a little "sewing supply bag" with a drawstring to keep our stuff in.  She let me have fabric, some pins, and such to get started.  They were so gracious!  Her younger daughters (she has 5 daughters) even watched Molly for us while she taught Emily and I how to sew.  To pay her, we were able to barter.....some quick sewing lessons for a free CPR class that John was offering to the home school community...(how cool is that!)

Next, we got hooked up with an elderly woman named Mrs. Richards through another home school mom.  Mrs. Richards does private lessons and goes to student's homes to teach them to sew and other wonderful Christian life lessons!  Along with another friend and her two girls we set up lessons in my friend's house for  us and the three girls. Mrs. Richards only charges $45 per girl for 5 lessons of 3 hours each.  This included meeting at JoAnn's Fabrics for a tour and explanation of tools.  Mrs. Richards is 70 years old, mother of 5, grandmother, and one of 12 children herself...which is good with chaos all around us when we are trying to learn.  She teaches the three girls, my friend, and I all with 2 toddlers and 2  5 year old boys running around.  She is good about letting us deal with the little ones, while she is working with one of us and then she switches...its amazing that she can split up her time between the girls and two grown women so well.  She teaches responsibility, proper use of tools, safety,manners, delighting yourself in the Lord, measurements, joy, etiquette, reading your manual....all while teaching us to sew.  We have all now bought fabric, prepared our fabric, learned how to thread the bobbin, thread the machine, trimmed the fabric, pinned the fabric, and now are working on sewing a hem for a sweet little blanket....The girls each picked out their own fabric and are working on sewing straight lines.  Mrs. Richards was worried that we were confused after our first class and even made a special trip to each of our homes on separate days to check on us and review...

She says she does this as a ministry and she just loves to sew (It would have to be for only $45 and for the amount of time she runs around when she lives in Monticello)!  We are VERY pleased with what we have learned so far and Emily is doing great...even remembers details that I don't.  Mrs. Richards LIKES details...she is very particular which is good because we will have a strong foundation.  I think John and John Daniel might be getting matching flannel pajama bottoms for Christmas :)  Emily and I have already picked out the fabric and Mrs. Richards said she would even help if needed...no extra charge :)  What a blessing.....plus I have my grandmother and aunt who I know would help as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment