My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Braille Class

This month's book club book was Out of Darkness The Louis Braille Story.  It was a biography of Louis Braille.  It was a great great story.  John read most of it with the kids which is fitting since he was the one that took them to book club today.  I wasn't there so I don't have those kind of details that I would only get but the guest that spoke today has been blind since 9 years of age.  She had early glaucoma.  She told the kids and adults her testimony and about her life.  She has a braille machine that makes the little dots that Louis Braille invented!  She did cards with the kids that had the alphabet in braille and a sentence.  She also showed them a project that her and her friend had made which I suspect was a way to teach braille.  The kids had a great time and told me it was very cool.  They learned first hand what a blind person has to do to live and I just think that is FABULOUS after reading a biography about Louis Braille who was so diligent and persevered through so much.  What a great hands on learning experience.  They each had questions to ask the guest and Emily's was this..."Which of the other 4 senses to do you rely on the most?"  The guest replied, "my God-sense!" 
















No comments:

Post a Comment