My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, April 19, 2010

All giddy but can't explain it!

So I went to this Homeschool symposium on Saturday that was suppose to give me insight on curriculum, choices, options, etc. regarding our homeschool experience.  I was pure GIDDY when I left....I couldn't wait to talk to John (and boy did I talk his ear off on our 1 hour drive to Madison to visit some friends) and I couldn't wait to call my homeschooling friend Ann...

I can't really describe it...Maybe only John can understand because we are sooo on the same page right now (which by the way is a really great feeling in marriage...when you actually feel like your husband and yourself are walking the same road)....it just feels good to be headed toward something that you feel like God has told you to do, you've prayed about, and you feel like there will be freedom in your decision! 

Quite honestly, I was a little nervous...I really really wanted my friend Ann to be there as a security blanket but she couldn't go.  I thought I would be sitting amongst women that had no makeup on, wore very modest and uncool clothes, had multiple children dressed alike in homemade clothes, etc etc.....all the typical stereotypes of course BUT I was wrong of course.  There were about 50 or more women there...looked pretty normal, some wore make up, most were very chic  dressed, they looked normal!!!!!!  And I didn't even see any homemade matching clothing on any of the kids that, may I add, sat quietly in the back of the room :).....and I sat right next to Pete Boulware!  I am making fun of course ( I do not mean to offend by any means) but it just goes to show that there are so many stereotypes out there and all of us have stereotypes that are unwarranted...and I'm not just talking about homeschoolers.  It was an awesome experience.  I had to pay a babysitter $40 to watch my kids while I went as John slept in the back room after getting off at 7 am but if I had missed it, it would have been a great disservice to my family!!!!

These women were so intelligent.....talking about things that I can't even begin to speak of because my brain has become mush!  I was so taken by their level of spiritual and world view knowledge.  They spoke of legislation and laws and leadership and character and science and grammer and integrity and on and on and on!!!!  The CCS principal was there to share about the school's options for homeschoolers and I went up and spoke to her (she knows of our decision to homeschool and has been very supportive).  She said hi and then she said, "This is all SOOOOO interesting!"  Which I thought was funny coming from the principal of a school that is losing families to home education (there were 3 of us CCS parents there)...but when she did her speech, she said that CCS has worked very closely with homeschoolers and they support that decision and have homeschoolers in and out of CCS all the time over the years! 

One of the things that I loved was this...there were so many different ideas and passions in the room full of mothers that are excited about teaching their own children but they are all so supportive of one another....I have been astounded by all the different choices and options there are for home education and it is evident that most home educators are very passionate about their philosophy of education but again, they are so supportive of each other and willing to lend a hand or give some advice if needed. 

John and I have been reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan and it offers up the question of WHY NOT?  Meaning why not go out on a limb...if God is calling you to do something...why try to fit yourself in a box...do what everybody else is doing....LIFE IS A MERE VAPOR!  We are only here for such a short period of time.....Why not drop what you are doing a go help your 90 year old neighbor rake his yard!  So my prayer this week will be to help me be a person to step out of the box and do some of those things that make me feel uncomfortable....and I am Giddy with excitement over using our homeschool experience to answer the question WHY NOT....and take action...I'm excited that it will give us that freedom and flexibility...

No comments:

Post a Comment