My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Who ya gonna call.....????

So John left today to hike the Appalachian Trail with his buddy Jeff Brewer.  They left at 6 am from Madison and drove to Woody's Gap in North Georgia which is actually where their end point will be.  A guy named "cool breeze" is picking them up at Woody's Gap and taking them to Amicolola Falls at the base of Springer Mountain where they will start the hike.  Apparently the approach trail to the start of the Appalachian Trail is wicked!  They went back and forth about whether to do it or not...even my Dad knew of its torture!  The approach trail does not technically count as part of the AT so they can't count it on their "miles logged on the AT" if that sort of thing is important to one...which it is to John and Jeff.  To a hiker, outdoorsy type like my husband...the AT is very cool and kind of a status thing!  So once at Springer mountain they will hike everyday, all day, with a very heavy pack on their back (I couldn't even lift John's). They will sleep on the side of the mountain, cook their freeze dried food with water that was boiled on a little mini burner, eat plain rice, granola, and purify their own water from the stream.  They even have bio wipes for pooping in the woods! 

At the very same time my beloved husband is out of town, my parents are riding on a Baptist bus with a bunch of other Prime Timers from our church headed to Savannah, GA to visit the historical district and eat at some awesome restaurants.  They have never done anything like this and I'm so excited for them....

But how dare they all leave me at the same time!!!  I mean who am I going to call if my car breaks down, the AC at our house blows up, we have a huge leak that I can't stop, the car won't start, etc etc.....the choices left being my 87 year old grandparents, John's Dad who just had heart surgery, or my brother who would certainly do anything he could do to help me but his car is too small to carry my whole family and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to change a tire (no offense...that's just not his thing) although I will add my  brother is great at getting a bird out of the house...been there done that with his help!.....so it got me thinking about who I would call in the above circumstances...because I am a helpless woman that does not want or desire to be a single mom or a "I am woman, hear me roar" type of girl....John was trying to teach me something the other day...and I said to him, "I don't want to learn how to do it, I just want you to do it!" 

So I thought and thought and decided I would call Paul Connell...the very trustworthy husband of my friend Ann...he is a deputy and a "save a girl in her time of need" type of guy and I'm pretty sure my friend Ann would lend him to me in an emergency....I am also pretty sure he is fairly handy....for goodness sakes he is babysitting my two oldest tonight along with his three oldest while Ann and I go to a homeschooling thing...Hopefully, he woudn't mind helping a gal out and at least that makes me feel better while the two most dependable men I know are out of the state!  And John Daniel told me he would take out the compost for me.....because he knows I hate that!  It smells!

1 comment:

  1. It's true that I can't change a tire, but that's what AAA memberships are for!! Call me if you have any bird or snake issues :-)

    ReplyDelete