My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Highlights or NOT!

It was a very different Christmas. We ended up in urgent care with Molly on Christmas Day because she started getting really sick and going downhill....she ended up with an ear infection (mostly just red and irritated) and possible pneumonia. The doctor said she had RSV and her lungs were getting junky. So she ended up with her first antibiotic, an inhaler, nasal spray, a second tooth coming in and trip to urgent care on her first Christmas! She still enjoyed the day for the most part. She was interested in all the new things in the house and loved the excitement although, I know she would have enjoyed it more if she felt better. I literally did not leave my house on Christmas day which I think was a first for me. On Christmas eve, we did attend the church service, sang some wonderful Christmas carols, and went over to John's parents' house for dinner and presents. John's mom had stocking lined up on her mantel for each grandchild. There were 8! Each kid enjoyed opening their goodie bag stocking stuffers. We had birthday cake for Jesus and the kids enjoyed playing with their cousins. The next morning, I was up before the kids making breakfast casserole and monkey bread. Molly was the first to wake up and she definitely knew something was going on and couldn't keep her eyes off all the stuff, even to nurse. The big kids woke up and ran in and of course, were so excited. Santa did a good job! We read the Christmas story and did a "what God wants for Christmas" story book devotional the night before. We talked about it some more as they sat there in amazement and discussed the reason we give presents and what the Wise men gave Jesus and talked about the most amazing gift that God gave us.......JESUS! My kids aren't the crazy type that go nuts ripping stuff apart and getting over wound up...it is not their personality. They plod through things a little slower.....John Daniel kind of danced around his stuff like he didn't want to mess anything up. Emily slowly opened up her American Girl Wardrobe and just started organizing it. She even went and got her doll clothes from her room that she already had and added them to the wardrobe. It pleased me greatly! We then ate breakfast together as a family....still in our pajamas! Then on to the opening of the gifts under the tree. Our Santa does not wrap his presents so that is why those come first...they are already out! John was dying for me to have my present....I heard a "ring" coming from under the tree and looked and there was this fancy phone just for me!!! John got me a droid...the newest thing out! This is probably the first year that we made a point for each kid to have something for their siblings and mommy and daddy....John and I in the past have just set everything out and not really labeled anything..from Santa, from mommy and daddy...but we did this year. John did awesome in that he took each kid Christmas shopping for me which was really sweet. Later on, around noon...my parents, grandparents, and brother stopped by. John took Molly to urgent care soon after. The kids loved showing NeeNaw and Pop Pop their presents and of course they got MORE! Emily said, "I'm the American Girl Queen!" because she got lots of American Girl stuff....Which I highly approve of! John Daniel, my very literal child, told me that Santa did not get him what he asked for but that was o.k. He asked for, out of the blue I might add, for this HUGE GI JOE Tank that was like $90. Well first of all, he just had a birthday and he has plenty of stuff similar to that to play with...figurines, headquarters, vehicles, etc....and I was not paying $90..instead Santa got him a smaller GI JOE jeep set. But I think he was o.k. We all rested a bit in the afternoon, John got ready for work, and my parents came to get the big kids to take them to my Aunt Ginger's house. I opted to stay at home with sick Molly. It was weird being so isolated on Christmas but at the same time very relaxing and quiet...I sat on the couch, put on my crest white strips and played with my new phone! A few quick highlights: Emily got the American girl wardrobe, clothes, a desk, a couch, and a hair set for the dolls, she got a justice gift card, a text messenger, justice perfume, a purse....John Daniel got GI Joe stuff, a table Foosball game, a model rocket, tinker toys, a football....they both got new (really nice) sleeping bags, camping chairs, monogrammed pillows, zhu zhu hamsters (which are the cutest things), art supplies, paper lanterns for the ceiling in their room....Molly's big gift was the crawl through tunnel that she was scared of at first, a really cool leap frog friend that is programmed now to say her name, a riding car and she got her first baby doll! Mommy got a new watch, attachments for my Happy Everything plate, the Junior League cookbook, the droid phone, and some earrings, etc. etc. Daddy got an outdoor fire pit, a set of cologne and aftershave lotion, new sunglasses, ammo, bike shop gift card, etc, etc....

The coolest most awesome gift of all was the playhouse that Pop Pop and Daddy built in the backyard..designed by Pop Pop and inspired by Kit Kittridge, the American Girl. It is so neat! I know this is a lasting gift that the kids will play in for years to come! It has steps, a fireman's pole, and a pulley system with a bucket. They love it. They have already enjoyed eating a picnic in it and had friend's over to play in it! I am so appreciative and so in love with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment