My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Giving Gifts

I love surprises. I love getting surprises and love giving surprises. I don't need anything big, expensive or fancy...I just love the thought that someone loves me and wants to surprise me. My children do not lack for anything. They have plenty of stuff. This year I have tried to get things that are special, personalized, things I know they will really use or play with. Emily will not be getting barbie stuff, polly pockets, etc. She is getting American Girl clothing and furniture that I know she will really play with. The kids are both getting new (really nice) sleeping bags that are rated for 25 degrees. They both are getting new camping chairs. John Daniel is getting a rocket that we can all go out and "blast off" together. I always over do....but I do plan things out very carefully. I have been shopping for over a month. And the tree house won out! Emily will not be getting an ipod (maybe for her birthday) and instead my dad with help from John has built the coolest tree house ever that the kids can not wait to play in! As far as Molly...she is getting some decor for her room, a box of diapers, one new thing...and some hand me down toys from the attic!

John and I over the years have done big and other years we don't do much at all. One year we decided that we would just do stocking stuffers...everything had to fit in the stocking. I bought John an off road bike last year and this year he is getting more practical stuff....

I get a text from him the other day. He had shopped for two days straight with the kids. He texted me...."I just bought you the present of the decade!" Now he is either playing a really big joke (he is quite the jokster) or it really is something cool because he is not one to get really excited about gifts and he doesn't normally like to shop. So he has been asking me for two days now...."do you want your present now?" I do not want it early!!!! I want a surprise on Christmas day!

As for the extended family...we do not exchange gifts with the adults in John's family. There are 7 grandchildren now and it just gets to be too much for everyone...I usually frame a new picture or give them some little "grandparent" type gift. We are spending Christmas Eve with the Gays tonight! We do exchange presents with my mom, dad, and brother. My mom will not quit doing that...she still does stockings for all of us! Not big expensive crazy presents...just small meaningful things that we all pick out. And I usually buy my grandparents a little something.. We will get together with my dad, mom, and brother at some point in the morning and exchange presents. Then, my Dad's whole family..aunts, uncles, cousins, etc....get together on Christmas night usually. Tomorrow night, after John leaves for work, the kids and I will go down to my Aunt's house in Crawfordville and eat together. Again, the little kids get gifts but the rest of us just Eat, chat, and have fun!

All that to say, I do not stress about it! I did early on in our marriage and I spend way to much money, and was always running about crazy trying to do it all. I am at home today, baking, folding clothes, and not worrying about it at all! Can't wait to go to the Birthday Party for Jesus at church tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment