My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Resourceful Man

The beginnings of the kids' treehouse!


I could describe my father as being quite the resourceful man but he is many other things...extremely hard working, wise, smart, positive, fun, handy, strong, manly, protective, go getter, stern, self sufficient, brave, and extremely gifted in the area of building and fixing things. I said resourceful at first because he is always the one I can go to to figure something out...he just seems to have a lot of friends, a lot of resources, a lot of handy objects, and knows how to do so many things. Just recently I needed a couple of things for church to help with some mission projects. He had the large plastic water bottle that I needed and let me have it. He also had this huge shelving unit at his store that has slots in it that we are using as our GA/RA post office at church. When John and I cannot figure something out or don't know where to get something...I call my Dad. In thinking about my dad...I feel very loved, protected, and dependent on my father. In fact when John and I got married, there was a time when before asking my own husband, I would call my Dad first and then I realized I probably needed to start at least asking John first....because he is very handy himself. I think that is one of the more attractive things about John to me...the fact that he can and is willing to DO a lot and can figure a lot of stuff out. I grew up in a house where my Dad could fix anything and was always building or doing something for us. If it needed to get done...Daddy could do it. He has built furniture, built numerous additions onto houses, put a roof on our house growing up, can work on any type of machine or appliance, do plumbing, do simple electrical work, etc etc etc. He was always up at the crack of dawn working on something. My mom often joked that some of the men she knew couldn't even screw in a light bulb....well that was not the case in our home. So I guess I chose a person as a husband that could do some of that and is always very willing to try. John isn't quite the builder that my dad is but mostly because he doesn't have the resources in tools etc. but he has knocked down a wall in our house and has remodeled most parts of our home. Being Baptist, we have sat through many Parent/Child Dedications. The pastor almost always says something to the Dad that goes like this...."An earthly father is the first impression that a child has of his Heavenly father." In thinking about this.....it is very true for me. My impression and first thoughts of my Heavenly Father were this and still are...I feel like God is my protector and has enduring love for me that never fails....I know/feel like God wants to be a part of my life in every way....at the same time I fear him being upset or mad with me...like I don't want to disappoint Him. These are the impressions that I have always had in my relationship with my dad as well. Many people ask me why I "behaved" as a teenager for the most part....I always say, well I was scared of my Dad amongst other things...and I don't say this to say he was ugly or mean or abusive by any means (he never once laid a hand on me and I never even got a spanking) but I was very fearful of disappointing him. You can tell when he gets made...his dark Italian skin on his head gets red in color and his eyes get really big. I also feel VERY protected by my Heavenly Father as well as my Earthly Father. I hate storms...I can't stand lightening or thunder. One of the first things that I thought of when John said he was going to night shift was...."oh no...what if a storm or hurricane occur at night while I at home by myself"..then I said to myself...I will call my Daddy and I am serious...it would scare me to death to be by myself. I know he would be here in less than 10 minutes to "rescue" me and the kids. He was such a relief to me at times when I was sick during my pregnancies...he is certainly a protector! My Dad never went to college but I think he is one of the smartest men I know. I find a man much more useful and attractive when they have "street smarts", can work around the home, fix things, lift things, etc than ones that have to call a "fix it man" every time something breaks...but that's just me! My dad was over here today...and dug three HUGE holes, lifted and put three HUGE beams in the ground for a tree house, and had designed the whole thing in his head in a matter of a week. He does math in his head which has always amazed me. He and my grandfather are just incredible in that they can figure, design, and put things together..numbers...measurements, etc....all in their heads. I know that I can always call him for advice, for help, and to answer a question. I feel very blessed to have a Dad like I do and he has actually mellowed a lot in his "old" age...he is very fun, likes to joke and play with the kids, and is not as stern. He is one of the hardest working people I know.....lazy or unmotivated is not even in his vocabulary....he has always had calluses on his hands...he has amazing talent and I am always proud to say to people when asked about the things he has built or done for me, "my dad did that or my dad can do anything!" We can't wait to see our tree house when its done. The kids are so excited! My Daddy is one in a million!

No comments:

Post a Comment