My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Is there really the perfect chore plan?

I think I have posted before about my numerous attempts to get the kids to do chores...I think it is necessary, I think it is good for them, I even think it is biblical. My Dave Ramsey commission work plan works well but it too has lost its luster right now, especially after Christmas! So, sitting at work today, I came up with something new...a GAME! I wrote on tiny pieces of paper the name of a chore. These are not our "because you are part of the family chores" like picking up dirty clothes, because I am trying to teach them that things like that are part of everyday life and that they are big enough now that they can hold themselves responsible for those things. These are chores like sweep back porch, vacuum living room, empty bathroom trash, do a load of laundry, clean the sink in the bathrooms. Things that I would normally do but that they can do when we are home to help me out. I have figured out that because we are gone some afternoons and because some nights tend to be heavier on homework, that I cannot enforce an everyday chore chart or calendar...it has to be something that can be flexible. That is why I liked the commission work... So once all the chores were on the tiny pieces of paper and folded up, we mixed them around. I even added "free day" on a piece of paper. They each had to draw a piece of paper and do that chore. One problem with the commission work chart is that when they would choose a chore off the chart to work for...they would always choose the same chore for the most part. John Daniel would either choose laundry or dishes. Emily would chose bathroom and floors. Who knows why. But John was saying that that posed the problem that they were not learning a variety of tasks....Emily had no idea how to do the laundry whereas, I could almost leave J.D. doing it by himself... and J.D. never wanted to clean up after himself in the bathroom... So this variety to our game is good. Rules are that they cannot get "free day" more than once in a week and that they cannot do the same chore back to back. And they are not allowed to complain! I don't even think I am going to pay them...they need something different and this did it...they were soooo excited! Maybe I will do a lump payment at the end of the week b/c we are working on saving and giving. So they chose their chore today out of the basket with their eyes closed and they were sooo excited! They even said, "YES!" when I explained the idea to them. Maybe that is the key with chores and charts and to do lists with kids...be flexible, use variety, make it fun, and change it up!~ So Emily drew Vacuum living room and J.D. drew out straighten shoes on shelf in garage. It took them 2 minutes and it helped me out and they were very excited! They just loved the surprise of opening up the little piece of paper....how funny is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment