My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reading is not for fun....

Michael and Debi Pearl, authors


Reading is not for pleasure, at least for me. I read to figure something out, to make myself better, to get information. So, I guess this isn't all bad but I just do not like reading for pleasure. I started reading the best seller, The Shack...and didn't even finish it. It's not because it is boring or a bad read...I just don't enjoy it. I really hope that this doesn't rub off on my children...I really do encourage fun reading for Emily in hopes that she is more like my mother or brother and even my dad more recently. I know it makes you smarter and I know it is good for the brain..yada yada..I just don't enjoy it like some people. I like the idea of books...book fairs at the kids' schools get me excited and we have TONS of books in our house, but I cannot tell you how many "fun" books I have started and never finished! The books I read get me info I need, on subject material that I am interested in. For instance, most of the books that I am reading right now are books about child rearing, marriage, spirituality, being a mom, cook books, or organizing/cleaning. Gosh I sound boring! I really have tried...it just doesn't happen. Even, my list of books about the above are ones that I go and come back to. I usually don't just read through it. I pick out subjects that interest me, etc. I am reading a really awesome book right now called "No greater joy". Yes, it is about child rearing...but I can't seem to put it down right now. I have found this couple named the Pearls that are well, amazing! They have three books out that I have read/picked apart. One is on marriage.."Created to be his helpmeet", the others on child rearing..."To train up a Child" and a compilation of letters called "No Greater Joy". They may have more, I just don't know. Now don't go googling them...some of you may freak...they are conservative, Christian, homeschooling, hard core, old-fashioned, plain, and different. I have never read " a self-help book" that makes so much sense! They seem firm but loving, they are rooted in the truth but know what the world is telling us, they are serious yet so funny....their book on marriage and the way she (Debi Pearl) takes you back through scripture and explains how God designed marriage truly made me a better wife and has saved marriages of friends that I know personally...John loves to hear their advice because it all seems so simple, yet modern marriages and modern men and women don't understand....ahhh...the divorce rate!!!

Now I could go on and on...and some may think that I sound like a old fashioned wife that is stuck doing housework and being at home with the kids and you may think that John is this male chauvinist ruling over me...BUT that is so not how it is and not how they teach it to be (and anyone that knows us could most likely affirm that we have a pretty great marriage, rough spots, but pretty great!)....There will be another post coming very soon on some of what I am learning through their books and going back through scripture but I can't post it all tonight. So, no I don't read for pleasure but I LOVE finding simple truths that seem to make so much sense...
Above is a picture of the Pearls...some of what I was saying about them may make sense after looking at their picture.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to borrow your books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about not finding reading fun in the traditional use of the word! You are intellegent and interested in learning all sorts of things and just because you don't read a book from the beginning to the end doesn't mean your don't learn. You say it isn't fun, but you wouldn't do it if it was real painful! You are one of the smartest people I know!!

    ReplyDelete