My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, November 4, 2010

occupying a toddler



Probably one of the hardest things I've had to accomplish or NOT accomplish on most days is occupying my very busy toddler while we do school....I got so tired of getting her out of the cabinets, cleaning up messes, cleaning up the dog water in which she spilled, checking the doors, etc that I started laying her down for a mid morning nap again a month ago and we did school but then she is wide awake after lunch, ready to go when I'm at my worst and need downtime myself so this week I decided no more taking the easy way out...I had to figure out how to engage her and keep her out of trouble while we did school.  It takes effort...a lot and just putting some toys out doesn't cut it for her. And on many days she has to be quiet, so penning her up in her room doesn't cut it because John can hear her when he is asleep.  First, I have to put some toys away out of her site and let them come out only every few days...so they seem new to her...then I have written out some ways to keep her busy...today we tried play dough in her high chair which worked well for 30 minutes.  Then I put some water in a Tupperware container and put several other containers out on the porch for her to play with...she dumped water and stirred water and put her little people in them...the porch is kind of a mess but I think a water table is in order and maybe a table with rice so that she can dig.  Rice would be easier and cheaper to clean up than sand...My list also includes other manipulative's, finger paint in her high chair and shaving cream...It takes a little extra work but if it will give me 30 minute blocks of time with Emily and then a nice peaceful quiet afternoon where I can rest it is worth it.....For any of you grandparents that are reading this......these would be great Christmas presents...to me and Molly....things to occupy Miss Molly!!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment