My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dear Betsy is in the freezer

One of our first chickens that we got as a chick...is now in our freezer!  I recieved a text last week from my husband, whom I thought was sleeping after working all night, "Betsy is in the freezer, the backyard is quiet, I'm going to bed now!"  Betsy had been giving us some problems...she is the only chicken that had figured out how to jump over the fence so she could roost in the treehouse...therefore creating lots of chicken poop mess up there! She had also become VERY loud...squawking when she didn't get her way, wanted a snack, etc.  John could hear her sometimes when he was trying to sleep and we were afraid the neighbors could too!  So that day, she squawked too loud and well that was the end of her.  The kids couldn't believe that he did it...they got home and looked all over for her and opened the garage freezer and then the house freezer....and J.D. screamed..."There she is!" and Emily went running!  She didn't want to see her Betsy in the freezer!  John did a great job of "preparing" her...she looks like one you would buy at Publix!  The they started wondering how he did it, especially my detail oriented J.D.....and then they saw the rope over the swingset top beam and a few leftover feathers....Emily couldn't bear to see it!  She said she WILL NOT eat Betsy and I don't blame her at all!  John did warn them that it was coming and that when we got these chickens, they may become food one day too...Emily is over it now.....but I've heard them tell the other girls to be quiet or Daddy might do the same to them!
A tribute to dear old Betsy:  She was a good egg layer and very crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment