My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Friday, August 5, 2011

My MIS guy~

My little home school has an MIS department...it's a one man show but oh how he has helped me!  Not really but our friend, Mr. Jeff has helped us an awful lot!  He is our go to computer guy...it is what he does for a living...and I'm sure he gets tired of us asking his opinion but he is good at what he does.  He said we are such rookies!  But he likes to give us a hard time because John and I and his own wife are always exchanging medical stories!  Anyhow, I was describing to him what my problem was...how I hate paper and there is sooo much that I need to save, store, reference later, etc having to do with home school that it gets overwhelming.  John had the wonderful idea of a flash drive but as Jeff said, "What happens if you lose that little flash drive?"....all would be lost.  So he signed me up and got me registered for Drop Box which is an online web storage site that is available to store files and documents, it is password protected, and available on any device...even my phone.  And it is FREE! Whatever you store on it, you can then bring up on ANY device...like even my parent's computer and as soon as you save something to Drop Box, it immediately uploads to the web so it is safe and stored for later use...You can create all kinds of file folders and files within files.  For instance I have a folder named, "Book Club" and within it I have two files labeled "Books for 2011/12" and "parts of a story" which are two things I may need to reference later.  I have a folder labeled "high school tips" for later use.  There are constantly emails coming through my email about things related to the high school days and I want to save them but they are junking up my inbox.  So I file them in the Drop Box and simply pull it up later.  I do like some paper, I like seeing info on paper and not on a computer screen but it isn't practical in a small house with limited storage space, shelving, and desk space.  I print out what I need IMMEDIATELY and store the rest to look up later.  It has cleared my inbox out and organized my files.  I am now in the process of typing up all my written notes from different meetings and support groups to then file in Drop Box and eventually I just want to take my little laptop with me to meetings to type what I want to remember and hit save, file to drop box...oh how easy.  I literally have been carrying around like 4 spiral notebooks from meeting to meeting...stuff I like an want to refer to later but can't and don't want to have to flip through 4 spiral notebooks!  My MIS guy is cheap and very helpful and willing to help us with all of our rookie type questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment