My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Baby Food




I decided that I wanted to try to make my own baby food this time around. I actually think I tried with Emily but started with something messy like peas and that was the end of that. With the help and encouragement of my friends Ann and Kim and the reading of some good books and online materials...I decided to give it another try. I thought it would make me feel nutritious, cost effective, and earthy...and it does! I started with avocado, then bananas, and sweet potato. Those are easy because all you do is mash them up. She loved them all but the avocado gave her gas. This week we started squash. I bought two butternut squash and peeled and diced them. Then I steamed the chunks on the stove. Next I put the soft cubes in my handy dandy food processor with a little of the cooking liquid and blended until smooth. I put it in individual servings by using an ice cube tray. After frozen, I popped them out and put them in a freezer bag. Now when I go to feed her, I just take two of the frozen cubes out and pop them in the microwave to defrost. She loves squash. She started doing this cute mouth thing when I sit her in the high chair this week. When she is hungry and wants to eat she moves her mouth really slowly..... open and close. It is the cutest thing. She eats the squash as if it were candy. I loved making it for her and I love my food processor. We have even been eating butternut squash because it was in the house for me to make for her and it is not something I would normally fix for the rest of us. Next is a green veggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment