My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Birthdays

J.D.'s birthday is coming up and I have been so excited about his party! I love throwing my kids birthday parties. I think coming up with a theme and planning the food and games and guests is so much fun. John and my mother think I go way over board but I have learned some dos and don'ts to it all. When Emily turned one, I made all the invitations, had two separate parties, did favors, fed all the guests, had all the siblings and extended family there, and Emily was in costume! I have certainly toned it down some. I love picking out the theme though and trying to incorporate the food and stuff around the theme. I guess my creativity (which I always say I don't have) comes out in the stuff for my kids. I think it is actually a little of a "teacher" coming out in me...it reminds me of my mom....she is very creative when she is around children! If I had not become a nurse, I think I would have been a teacher. I always struggle with whether to just make it plain and simple or do it up big....I know there is something to say for having a "just family" party and keeping it very cozy. This kind of party can be special, but I just love the other too! I have learned to not always invite all the siblings!!! I have learned to not try to feed all the adults. I have learned to get the invitations made. I have learned to keep the food simple since kids barely eat it anyway. I have learned to try to do something small every other year to give myself and our budget a break!!!! The sibling thing is really hard because for expense purposes it really is nice just having the kids there that are good friends with that birthday child but then I feel bad for leaving the siblings out. Although, this time around I have had several of my friends tell me that they are glad that the one child (the youngest) has had a special invite for just them and that the older sibling was not invited. It makes it nice and special for the younger one. I don't really know the answer to that but I do like that John Daniel gets to have something all to himself and with his own friends.

I think we have had some cool birthdays over the years. For Emily we have had a 1 year old princess party, a 2 year old Elmo party at the park (not actually even in the same month as her birthday b/c of being hospitalized on her birthday pregnant), a 3 year old Luau, a 4 year old tea party, a 5 year old princess party with a trip to Disney, a 6 year old Circus/Big Top party, and a 7 year old vintage tea party at Cookies and Tea for Me! For John Daniel we have had a 1 year old Barnyard Blast, 2 year old Thomas the Train party at the park, a 3 year old Dino Dig and Dinosaur Cave party, a 4 year old Fire truck/Rescue Heroes party, and a 5 year old Camping/Marshmallow Roast party! My favorite parties have been the Circus party of Emily's (it was a lot of work though) and John Daniel's Dino Dig (we dug for real cow bones in the sand box). It is a lot of work and sometimes a little ridiculous but I truly love my kiddos' friends and love to have them help celebrate with my children! Can't wait until Saturday...My big boy is turning 5 next week and his party is at "Nee Naw and Pop Pop's Campground"...should be lots of fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment