My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 4...Palm Sunday, Open Air Market, and Respect for the Dead...

8:00 on the Metro headed to Palm Sunday church service at National Community Church! 

Funny thing....this was their Grand Opening at this site...they are one church with something like 9 locations around the DC/VA area....see John and I did a study on Abraham in our Sunday School class that was co-written by the pastor of this church...all the videos that went with the study had DC stuff in the background..they also own a coffee shop called Ebeneezer's that they also hold church in.  The Pastor, Marc Batterson, has also written several books...the one I am reading now is called "In a Pit with a lion on a Snowy Day."  We found them on the Internet...figured out which location would be best with Nic's help and then just went!  It just so happen it was their inaugural service in the building which is a renovated 1920's movie theater where another church, People's Church, has been meeting in for 59 years!  People's Church is now relocating and selling the building to National Community Church...the pastor is young...wore jeans and a plaid shirt to preach in, the members are young, all different races, the music is loud, the childcare is up above the theater in the Reel room I guess, the older kids meet a block down at a Dentist office, the service is hip, and there were donuts and coffee at the entrance...but as far as I could tell and after reading their doctrine online...He preaches the Bible and they are solid..The place was so full that there were people sitting on the ground in the aisles.  We took communion from a little bitty glass and a tin can with a wafer in it that were neatly placed in a bag with a drawstring that the ushers gave out...It was very cool!  The Pastor was there live!  In most of the services around town, they stream him in via Video so it was cool that he was actually there speaking.  Overall...great experience! 


Next we walked down to the Eastern Market...very cute neighborhood.  Rachel Ray on the Food Network channel always says you HAVE to find the nearest open air market every time you visit a new city..so we did!  We had lunch there and shopped...Definitely a high light for Emily who now has a funky hat and an anklet made by some family in Ecuador!

There are always fresh flowers in an open air market!

Pickles on a stick...JD was in Heaven!  We had some REALLY good BBQ there as well!

Art of every form....this gentleman was making animals and people from tiny strips of tin from cans...his fingers were bandaged from working so much with tin.  John asked if he had a chicken...he said they all sold!  Imagine that!

Next we rode the Metro to Arlington National Cemetery. 

This is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been!  I couldn't stop taking pictures and my camera doesn't do it justice.



JFK




Another Kennedy

Tomb of the unknown...changing of the guard.



Challenger Memorial


Probably my favorite picture!

Most decorated soldier...

View from General Robert E. Lee's home...the Arlington House



It was an absolutely gorgeous day...could not have been any better.  We had the most wonderful day...celebrating Palm Sunday and then to pay respect to those that have died to protect us...Little Molly even tried to be quiet!  One funny story....we paid a small fee to ride a tour bus around the cemetery...we would get off at different sites and then walk around and get back on at our leisure..everyone stays pretty quiet the whole time and we has waited for about 5 or 10 minutes for people loading the bus..the tour guide asks finally, "o.k., does everyone have a seat?"...and our little Molly says at the top of her lungs yet politely, "YES!"  Of course then everyone breaks into quiet laughter on the bus!

On a side note..I love all the comments everyone is leaving...I know for a fact I would never do this once I get home...it is way too overwhelming and I have so many pictures!  I've enjoyed telling about our trip while it is fresh in my mind.  I received a great compliment from my brother and his friend, "C", tonight...they said we were very efficient...couldn't believe how much we had seen already!  For those of you that know me, you know I'm a words of affirmation type of gal so that made me smile.  Really, it is both mine and John's  "Type A" personality that comes out when we want to accomplish something great! We are certainly on a mission to make the most of this!  Thank goodness for a great friend who I will call "LF"...she wrote me out a detailed  list of all the highlights in the city...I have it in my backpack and we use it often!  We had to move from my brother's place tonight into the hotel.  We have a beautiful hotel...very snazzy!  John did good on this one!  The kids think they are royalty!  It was a little bit of a pain to go get our van from the airport, transfer all our stuff, unpack again, and take the van back but it is done now and we are in one place for FIVE more days!  I don't think I ate dinner and I'm tired but loving every minute of it!  My brother has been awesome in helping us get around and helping with logistics...he totally was bossing all the doormen around at the hotel..telling them what they needed to get out of van and take and such...he has "city" attitude now for sure (HA HA)...and we are eternally grateful to him for letting us totally take over his apartment for three days!  Tomorrow is Monument Day! 

1 comment:

  1. Went to bed before the blog was posted, first thing we did this morning checking to see if you posted!! Another great post !! Printed the first few days, took it to Granny and Granddad, they really enjoyed it. Thanks again for keeping us updated on your trip.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete