My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 9....More Planes and other things that fly, I95, and motion sickness









I wrote this is the van on I95.....didn't get around to posting it until now...but here it is:
John woke me at 5:45 this morning and asked if I was ready to get up and get everyone ready so he could walk to the Metro, take it to the airport, get our van, bring it back to the hotel and load it up....he told me last night it would rain today and if we wanted to go to Mt. Vernon, then we would have to go early. In my benadryl and half a glass of wine hangover, I said noooo....I can't get up...so we slept! We did get up around 8 and finally got our van, loaded, and checked out by 10. I'm a little dissapointed that we aren't going to Mt Vernon..it is the LAST thing that was on my list of things to do...so my OCD self feels like I was just one place off in accomplishing my mission 100% but I need to get over it. We did SO MUCH while here!!!!! And it is plum cold in DC today and the rain started at like 11 am so it would have been miserable being outside all day...of course it crossed my mind, "What could we have done yesterday different so that we could have done Mt. Vernon yesterday and done the museums today and still made it out of DC"...like I said, the Revell part of me is a little obsessive! We traveled into VA and stopped at a Logan's Steakhouse for lunch but not before my mini-me Emily got car sick three times...poor thing...she has a stomach just like me! I think the car sickness will get worse..I remember I was really bad when I was a pre-teen and teenager! It doesn't help that the roads in VA are terrible and the traffic is crazy...(Mom, when you go visit Nic this summer....FLY...you won't be able to handle the traffic!) It was a good break and she seemed to feel better. We drove to the Dulles National Airport where there is an extension of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum called the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. It's a HUGE airplane hanger with over 300 planes, aircraft, fighter planes, helicopters, jets, and the Enterprise Space Shuttle. Emily and I were kind of over the plane stuff BUT it was pretty cool seeing the Space Shuttle right before your eyes. John was totally in to all the WWII planes and Japanese planes. I liked the F14 from Top Gun :) They also had some Blackbird Spy Planes that were way cool...can't believe men fly in those things! John Daniel liked looking at all the engines and missles. John and John Daniel rode two simulator rides there...one was a 3D moonwalk experience and the other was a flight simulator ride. John Daniel thought those were way cool....the two motion sickness sufferers stayed on the ground. After we left, we made a Starbucks stop and then got on I95 South headed home....and we are still on I95 and have been for almost 4 hours and haven't made it far. The traffic and rain have been awful! The traffic has been moving at like 30 mph most of the time....that coupled with more car sickness and molly crying has made for an unpleasant 4 hours BUT a little worship saved us! John is convinced that VA drivers are from another land...he can't stand them and I thought I was gonna have to throw cold water on him BUT instead I stuck a little Bluegrass Gospel in the CD player and our moods turned around for the better...the Isaacs saved us or maybe it is just a little Praise and Worship on this Good Friday that helped us get through it with happier hearts....we are just now passing through Richmond, VA and it is 7:30pm. I am writing this as we drive and it is pouring down rain...traffic is still terrible but we are all o.k. and praying for safety as we pass wreck after wreck. John is determined to get through VA before we stop. I'm pretty sure Molly might start throwing things at us at any point but the big kids are doing great...they are loving our music...Happy Good Friday!

On a much later note...we didn't stop until 1 am in Selma, NC...it continued to rain and traffic was terrible.  A dumpy Days Inn was the only vacant hotel on I95...we tried like 10 before we found it...lesson learned, we will always have a reservation somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment