My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Friday, May 1, 2009

Piano




Playing the piano is one of those things that I wish I knew how to do and I do believe it is one of those talents like sewing that makes you more useful, more sophisticated, and more artistic. I hate that I don't know how to sew and I really believe it is one of those "arts" that is dying and that more people will regret not knowing how to do later on in life. So many kids "hate" their piano lessons. I used to teach some middle school girls in a Bible Study and they all complained about practicing piano BUT on the other hand I know many people now as adults who either wish they knew how to play the piano b/c it is a great way to learn how to read music and learn other instruments or are soooo glad that their parents made them stick it out as a child. I know my dad has said it would help him in choir, our friend Jeff wishes he knew how to play because he had to learn music the hard way when playing the guitar and our friend Brian who is an excellent pianist said he is so glad his mother made him do it. It gives him a great skill! Anyways, one of my very bestest friends, Becca, is a piano teacher. She has taught at stubbs music and now teaches from her home and offered to teach Emily about a year or so ago. We did not have a piano at the time. She said it didn't matter and that Emily could practice on her little pink princess keyboard that we did have. Emily picked it up pretty quickly. John and I were both in the band in middle school and high school and learned how to read music then but our instruments are not ones that you would pull out at Christmas and play some carols on. But the piano is something that even if you don't play on a regular basis, you can always sit down and play a Christmas carol or BINGO for your kids. I believe music is a wonderful tool for children to learn and grow and express themselves. Emily has already learned how to read music, know where to place her fingers, and can even "hear" the notes. I love watching her play. We took a long break from lessons when I was pregnant and have just started back. She is at the point where she needed an instrument so we by the gift of God were given one after asking around. Next week she has a recital where she will play in front of us and the other parents. I love watching her keep time , sway as she plays and watch her fingers dance on the keys!

No comments:

Post a Comment