My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, March 2, 2009

Cabineering with Pop Pop and Nee Naw

My dad calls going to cabins in the woods "cabineering" which is close to camping I guess. February and March have lots of family birthdays for my family. Emily's, my cousin Mark, my Aunt D'Anna, my grandfather were all born in either February or March. My grandparents cannot really camp anymore. My grandfather is 87 but still loves the feel of it. They love nature and being outdoors and camping has always been a part of our families traditions and memories. So the past couple of years, for my grandfather's birthday, my Dad's side of the family goes cabineering together over by the Suwanee River and White Springs. They have super nice cabins for $100 a night. This past weekend was the weekend to go and my doctor, more like CHP, wouldn't let me go b/c I am 37 weeks pregnant and I sure don't want to deliver in the woods or at some small hospital without my doctor. So my Dad and Mom (pop pop and Nee Naw) took my kids for the weekend. They got to spend time with extended family such as their second cousins, great Aunts and Uncles, Great Grandparents, and other friends of the family. They left Friday and came back Sunday. Apparently they were very well behaved and I know they had a blast! They have talked about it since they got home and have told us all kinds of things they have learned. There is just something about being in the woods and not being able to watch TV etc that kids just love. They soak up all kinds of information. I love that they learned so much from their elders and extended family members. They went on a three mile hike, pushed dead trees over, found a bat house and listened to the noises they were making, climbed on sand dunes, watched the Suwanee river, played in the dirt, collected rocks, told stories, had coloring contests, rode bikes, and ate great food! They told John and I how the water was so low in the river and they said "before I was born, you and mommy were born, before pop pop and nee naw were born and even before Granny and Granddad were married the water was way up here (pointing to our ceiling) and above our house and the crocodiles liked it because they lived in the holes on the bank." They were so into telling the story. My parents said John Daniel was so dirty on Saturday that he needed to be washed in the river. It is great to be a kid! This morning when they woke up and I was getting them ready to go to school, John Daniel looked at Emily and said with a big smile, "remember how we went to the Suwanee River?" as if it had been days ago and he just wanted to remember the good times. I can't wait until our little girl gets old enough to go camping. John and I are eager and want to go spend some time in the outdoors...there is something about Florida's spring weather!

John and I on the other hand had a nice time. We ate out together, spent time watching movies at home, and got more home improvements done and I took lots of naps:)

No comments:

Post a Comment