My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Monday, May 2, 2011

5/2/11

John texted me at midnight or so last night telling me that Bin Laden had been killed.  I woke this morning to the news and couldn't keep my eyes or ears off the radio or TV.  I guess I was happy and I certainly have American Pride but the sights of people rejoicing and dancing in the streets struck me as strange, especially when so many people since 9/11 have argued against this war and protested against Bush and the military efforts but then when something "good" happens that shows that we have "won" a part of the battle...everyone starts celebrating and praising the efforts of the military...seems a little two faced to me personally...John said to me that it gave him a weird feeling, watching people dance around, singing and acting as if it was a New Year's Eve party...and I think this is why....

I'm not trying to be too political because I think I've said before that I'm not a real political girl...these are just my thoughts today on 5/2/11...I've listened to the radio pretty much all morning because we had to drive all the way out to the Tallahassee Museum for a science class.  I heard of a story of a young soldier, a sniper in the military and a Christian.  His mom told of how his job was to kill 4 enemies and as he did so he explained to his mom how he thought it was going to be so exhilarating but instead he felt sorrow...he knew he had done the right thing and carried out orders but he mourned the loss of a soul that would be judged and ultimately most likely did not have the saving grace of Jesus Christ. 

The following is from the Compassion International website: 

1. "Vengeance is mine" is what God says. Not ours to take.


2. Several more people have been sent, by bullets and bombs, to an eternity without Christ.

3. Our fundamental identity is not associated with which flag we wave, but with the global body of Christ.

I don't know about #1....I believe the government and authority was created by our God but I do feel like we should be praying!  We should be praying for the poor lost souls.  We should be praying for those 20 year olds that take lives everyday and have to deal with that the rest of their life as they strive to protect us.  The world is a sinful place but God makes all things new.  I have the most respect for our military, after going to DC and experiencing some of the memorials up close, I believe that the men and women of the Military are amazing and brave individuals but I do mourn the fact that another soul died without knowing Jesus...

Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked declares the Sovereign LORD? Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live? – Ezekiel 18:23

The following is quoted from an old friend who is now a military wife who's husband just left AGAIN for deployment in Afghanistan after the birth of their 3rd child:

"Relief for my family's safety and rejoicing over an enemy's death are two very different things. I do not believe that our soldiers enjoy the act of killing, but it is necessary for freedom- the same religious freedoms that allow us to discuss Scripture in social networks....death always causes conflicted feelings for me, but let's not heap condemnation on those men and women who seek to protect us."

It is complicated I do believe and certainly in my book not a time to dance in the streets but pray even more fervently!  Just my humble opinion and contemplative thoughts today.....

2 comments:

  1. Kat, I wanted to let you know that I really appreciated this post. I've been pretty turned off by a lot of what's been said on facebook, but this blog stuck me as being very thoughtful. I know we don't agree on everything, but I think that religion is at its best when it inspires this sort of thoughtful self-reflection. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your Mother said this morning "We Love our two kids"!
    Love, M and D

    ReplyDelete