My Favorite Four Plus One!

My heart belongs to these beautiful people~

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Our Compost...Like you really care!!!!!

So I've learned a little about compost and I'm recording it for who knows what reason and I know you don't care but here it goes. 

So we've learned you can use a huge industrial garbage can for a compost container.  John drilled holes all in it.  He puts it down on the ground and rolls it around to turn it.  He waters it.  We put all kinds of stuff in it from fruits and veggies to lint from the dryer.  He drilled holes in the bottom of the container so that when he waters it, it drains into a small tupperware container...this is called compost tea.  "They" say it is really good to use the "tea" to water your garden.  Its like an extra bonus.  I swear the day after he watered the tomato plants with compost tea...they turned red...after we had been waiting on the red color for like 3 weeks!  Our compost is looking really good....Its gotten to where it doesn't even smell and isn't really that yucky anymore.  I guess the worms are taking care of all that.  Its breaking down really nicely but we are now running out of room so we have to move on to a larger one or stop for awhile....John's working on a fix. 

Here are some pictures...(I will take pictures of anything obviously!)

No comments:

Post a Comment